I5 7400 cpu problem

I would do it before using your money just to see what they do and say, and yea I agree. They probably won't be able to make nothing from them graphs considering they put that terrible PSU in there to begin with.

Well they had to cut the corners somwhere, but I think cpu itself is fine because I can play world of tanks and rocket league without a problem its just the more cpu intensive games that are the problem it seems so I guess that is a plus. I will bring the pc to them on monday or maybe sooner will see will update you after and maybe send one more test before I send it

Those two games in general are not system intensive. Your machine is doing this when the whole system is under load for longer periods of time. If it was a CPU bottleneck your GPU usage wouldn't be maxed during high CPU usage times. When your frames dip your GPU clock drops and usage drops but CPU does not. This is indicative of PSU dropping voltage or sending a high amount of ripple to the one item taking the most power under heavy load. Another telling point is during this time your CPU clocks don't drop. More indication is the power limit dropping during this time period as well as voltage limit going off on GPU. It makes it look like your GPU is dropping states to save itself from an undervoltage scenario. What doesn't make much sense is this thing supposedly has 53A on a single rail design providing a peak 636W of power of which your machine doesn't even take half of that. Theoretically should take around 220W peak under full load. A frametime graph in this instance would show frametimes skyrocketing like a "scene loading" when it's not while FPS doesn't really drop to "lag" levels. The frametimes go up due to the GPU dropping boost states the way it does.

And here was me thinking I got ****ty cpu and that was my lag reason, I will try to explain it to them somehow in the shop but the best I can get is the same psu but just a new one so I dont belive there is much point except if the gpu or cpu are not damaged which I dont think they are but I will see. Oh and also maybe I connected the psu wrong on the motherboard could that be possible or would the system not work at all if that was the case, and another thing is I have more fans in the case so maybe that is drawing more power I had only one on the prevoius case now I have 4 on the case and 2 on the cpu cooler

Last edited:
Connecting it wrong would cause for the system to shut down or not turn on at all, and your extra fans are such a miniscule draw compared to CPU and GPU it's nothing to be concerned about.

The CPU is actually rather decent and is still a good gaming CPU. As I said in a previous post I have a 2500k that still plays all the current games fine so this one would be edging that out.

Well I guess it narrows down to being the psu hopefully I found out the shop has phone support so I will try to ask them about it and see what they say. And thanks for helping again, I posted on a few tech forums and noone responded to me you are the first one to actually help.

No problem. A lot of sites will look at this and ignore as an issue they can't help with quickly or just try to say "oh it's just this" and walk away. I usually like solving unique problems.

I guess that is true because I once posted a simple problem and got a replay lightning fast, here is some more test I think I got a few drops today, it wasn't so bad but it was noticeable.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 5
Your GPU dips correlate to your highest FPS on the graph.

Try one more thing for me. In your Nvidia control panel (right click desktop you'll see it) go to manage 3D settings and scroll down to power management mode. Change that to prefer maximum performance, reboot, and see what that does. This should theoretically tell your GPU to not drop from 3D clocks or boost at all no matter the load on the GPU.

Can you tell me exactly what's going on in the screen when that happens and what game exactly you're playing for the graphs above? With the graphs perfectly lined up it's showing an exceptionally high frame rate during those dips so usually I only get something like that when I'm in a menu or loading screen, sometimes when looking at an easy to render area like straight up at the sky. If this is the case depending on the game at hand I'd try limiting your frames if possible to something like 200. I can't see what your average frame rate is but it looks like you're going from like 80-110fps straight to 347 causing your hang up. Even my machine has issues when doing that, especially in online multiplayer games (except CSGO). That is a totally different issue all on it's own. Try the above two options before spending on a PSU.

As an explanation of what I'm talking about, online games especially FPS games have something called a server tickrate. In Battlefield 3, 4, and 1 you can see it will say 30, 40, or 60. This means that the frame calculation is at 30, 40, or 60. Now when we run at 120fps on a 60hz server that means our frames server side are being calculated at half the rate at which we are rendering and backend trickery does the calculations for hit detections, global physics, etc. To be more specific you might have heard somebody complain about terrible "netcode". This is what it's referring to, especially in Battlefield. This is also happening while taking into account your total latency to server, and back to you through the net. If you're at 100fps then shoot to 347 for whatever reason and back yea that's definitely going to cause some problems. I get this in Rocket League all the time. Also, frame rates shooting that high while your CPU is loaded pretty heavy would actually introduce a temporary CPU bottleneck. So let's try those two things up there and see what happens. Prefer max performance in NVCP, and a frame cap of 200 if possible (don't use vsync).

The game im playing in these graphs is rainbow six siege and the super high framerate you see is from the menu screen between matches. While the "lag" happens my character is moving to my last set direction for example left and the framerate and everything is totally normal but it does not respond to any inputs be it mouse or keyboard for a set amount of time the worst one was 5 seconds and after that he starts moving normally again and everything works. Its kinda weird and I had a similar problem on my old crappy laptop.

Back
Top Bottom