Great Sound?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
OK I am humoring you enough to actually read that. after reading the first page and there still was no mention of the digital out which bypasses that, I didn't even bother to read the second page
You dont need to read the second page. It's right there on the first, and confirmed in the tech email written by creative itself.

Let's familiarize ourselves with something. A DSP. Do you know what that is? A Digital Signal Processor. Yes, d-i-g-i-t-a-l.

The e-mail written by creative itself confirms, the DSP on the Audigy2 is locked internally at 48KHz.

Now what is done with this digital signal? It is converted to analog by the onboard DAC, and in the process downsampled back to 44.1KHz.

So the digital signal is 48KHz from the getgo. When you use an external DAC, you are still receiving the digital signal in 48KHz resampled back to 44.1KHz.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about this. I've made it crystal clear.

I will admit, I don't have 24-bit recordings. All my music is ripped directly from the CD in 16-bit/44.1KHz lossless FLAC.

If you are truely listening to real 24-bit recordings off an Audigy 2, then you are severely crippling them, even if you use an external DAC.

Again I don't know why it is so hard to wrap your mind around this concept, it has been made crystal clear.

I really am finished now, because in the end the one who loses is the one who has an Audigy2 in their "high-end" setup.

003 said:
You dont need to read the second page. It's right there on the first, and confirmed in the tech email written by creative itself.

Let's familiarize ourselves with something. A DSP. Do you know what that is? A Digital Signal Processor. Yes, d-i-g-i-t-a-l.

The e-mail written by creative itself confirms, the DSP on the Audigy2 is locked internally at 48KHz.

Now what is done with this digital signal? It is converted to analog by the onboard DAC, and in the process downsampled back to 44.1KHz.

So the digital signal is 48KHz from the getgo. When you use an external DAC, you are still receiving the digital signal in 48KHz resampled back to 44.1KHz.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about this. I've made it crystal clear.

I will admit, I don't have 24-bit recordings. All my music is ripped directly from the CD in 16-bit/44.1KHz lossless FLAC.

If you are truely listening to real 24-bit recordings off an Audigy 2, then you are severely crippling them, even if you use an external DAC.

Again I don't know why it is so hard to wrap your mind around this concept, it has been made crystal clear.

I really am finished now, because in the end the one who loses is the one who has an Audigy2 in their "high-end" setup.

Ok I missed the creative email.

but reread this post and see where you contradicted yourself. I think it had something to do with me losing because you listen to your 16bit bit recordings through a 24 bit processor.

what have I lost? what have you gain by doing that?

it's the same answer

nothing

edit. a surrond sound processer is a DSP device. guess how you got dolby pro logic surround?

you took 2 common ground amplifier channels and hooked both positives of the 2 speakers up to it. then instead of wiring the negative to their respective ground, you wire the the negetive to each other and then lowered the volume to give ambient sound.

the surrong processer did that internally. now tell me

what's digital about that?

/flame wars

ya stock ipod earbuds or whatever those peices of **** are, sound like trash, but people blast their ears with those, ive heard them from my friend's, and it does not sound very good..

DarkMortar said:
/flame wars

ya stock ipod earbuds or whatever those peices of **** are, sound like trash, but people blast their ears with those, ive heard them from my friend's, and it does not sound very good..

we are not flaming, but if he want to be right

he got to make sure that he is right.

he think because he spent a lot of money on his equipment that will might him a genius, when the simple fact that if you give him a double blind test he will not be able tell the difference between that audigy and his sound card.

plus he dissed a couple of people on here. so what that they don't have his equipment?

molsen said it best when he describe the situation.

molsen said:
an audiophile, to me, is anyone who has a very critical ear for every aspect of music and sound. but everyone's sensitivities to certain frequencies are different, so no one can have the same taste in speakers, amps, EQ adjustments, etc.

what bothers me is when people can't hear their music distorting when it's too loud. or if they have all treble and bass and no midrange AT ALL.

what sounds good to me sounds good to me.

basically this mean if you listen to full spectrum flat neutral non distorted music and it sounds good to you, then that all that really matters.

he could have said that he didn't like that and he doesn't recommended using that. but he dissed them. geek audiophiles always has a tendency to do that.

one of the reasons they tend to do it is because they think that they know it all and you don't know anything because they spent a lot of money on their product, when in reality

they never really took the time to learn about their products and audio.

they just spent the money

EricB said:
we are not flaming, but if he want to be right

he got to make sure that he is right.

Actually, it's more the other way around, and that goes for everything else you said about me in your post as well.

I presented you with numbers and facts, not the usual audiophile "well I dont care if it can not be scientificcly proven, it sounds better and thats that".

I would be more than happy to do a DBT test with the Juli@ and an Audigy2, if somebody would be willing to fly down here and do it with me.

No, I dont think I am god because I spent a lot of money, but you will never understand that because you will never hear my setup.

The people who want to spend a lot of money and dont know what they are doing buy bose.

From what you say it would seem to me that you are professing that all DACs are created equal, and that resampling has no effect on the sound, and both of those statements are a load of uninformed bull crap.

I did not put anybody down, I merely pointed out that if you want good sound quality the first thing you should do is dump the audigy. All of creative's consumer oriented products suck SQ wise, with the exception of the X-fi because it does no internal resampling and supports ASIO, so if you hooked up a DAC it would be fully taken advantage of.

However, hooking up a DAC to the Audigy2 will more than likely magnify it's nasty faults.

Have you ever compared an ESI Juli@, E-MU 1212M, E-MU 0404, Chaintech AV-710 or M-Audio Audiophile 192 to your Audigy2? If not you really dont even have a case.

man you don't have a clue.

1st. I ve had the M-Audio Audiophile 192. it got sold on ebay because for lack of a better reason "I could get more money for it than the soundblaster"

2nd. my whole point this entire thread. statistically with the numbers, yeah you are right

but in real life, you can't tell the difference. I can

you own admissions. you don't have 24bit recordings

now, don't avoid the question this time.

how can a 24bit processor make a 16bit recording sound better than with a 16bit processor?

EricB said:
how can a 24bit processor make a 16bit recording sound better than with a 16bit processor?
Well, it cant, of course. When did I ever say it could?

003 said:
Well, it cant, of course. When did I ever say it could?

so you can't tell the difference. explain to me how you can tell the difference since you have so many 24 bit recording laying around?

edit. sorry. I have to go

you have too much time on your hands

I'll leave it at this

the GEEK Channel said:
In addition, Audigy cards clip and distort badly if you set the channel or main volume above 50% (when using full amplitude signals). This is clearly audible to the human ear (see proof 1).

I guess that will never affect me since I listen to music, not full amplitude signals. I got enough sense to back the gain up when I hear clipping or distortion as most audiophiles do

EricB said:
so you can't tell the difference. explain to me how you can tell the difference since you have so many 24 bit recording laying around?

edit. sorry. I have to go

you have too much time on your hands
Umm, I think there was a misunderstanding here. I don't have 24-bit recordings. The reason I hear a difference in sound quality of the sound cards has nothing to do with 24-bit. It's because they all have different quality DACs, some do internal resampling *cough*audigy2*cough*, and some dont have any built in amp, just a straight line out, leaving you to hook up your own amp and not have the signal amped twice, once with a cheap POS amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom