Wireless help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHNAPPS

Baseband Member
Well the other day frys had a sale on a Airlink 101 wireless g router, I already set it up correctly, but why is it that even if my computer gets perfect signal connection, when downloading something the download speeds are really low.

Its best to make sure that your computer is connecting at the full speed supported, 54Mbps I am assuming.

Are you using WEP?
WEP often times will slow down the transmission rates of data, normally it isnt noticable, but sometimes there are faulty firmware issues that can be correctly by firmware updates.

Which then leads me to firmware updates, It is possible that there is a flaw is the firmware for your router, your should probably check and make sure that you have the latest firmware for your device.

The MTU
The maximum transmission units. This is normally set to 1500, I have noticed that even 1499 makes a huge difference on my network, so just make sure that is set right.

Are there any enhanced capabilities?
Many companys try to best sales of specific products by claiming that they are capable of a Super G Mode with packetbursting or etc... Try using these enhances and see if they actually perform well, but if they dont do anything at all, it is best to disable, for they may give your problems in the future.

Last but not least, your service provider.
Some of these guys just blow, they claim that you will get I dont know lets say 3Mbps downstream, but in reality you only get 1.5 or something. That just happens, the best way to check on this is to do a speed test, this will let you know where you sit.

I have been rather breif about this, and sorry for any type-o's

SHNAPPS said:
Well the other day frys had a sale on a Airlink 101 wireless g router, I already set it up correctly, but why is it that even if my computer gets perfect signal connection, when downloading something the download speeds are really low.

I'm not surprise that your downloads are low on a wireless connection, since I've experience the same thing. It's just goes to show why a wireless connection isn't that reliable compare to being hardwired. There are several things you can do, one of the most important is to change away from the default channel/frequency, change your data rate to 54Mbps or g mode only. Check your wireless adapter advanced setting in device manager and make sure all setting are set for maximum performance.

Just curious to know, how low is your download speed compare to the speed you get when being wired to the router downloading the same thing from the same server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom