Which 'nix/OS do you actually use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popey

Baseband Member
Which 'nix/OS do you actually use?

Given the amount of advice on distros on this forum I'm curious to know which one people actually use most of the time on their home pc and why.

Personally, I use FreeBSD 5.4 about 80% of the time and XP Pro, Slackware and other assorted distros for the rest.
I use FreeBSD because it's absolutely rock solid and I love the ports system.
I need XP for video editing and pro quality audio stuff and I keep Slackware on a box because it's my favourite linux.

i dont have one ive been checking into alot of them but from what i have seen i like debain,mandrake, i want to get freeBSD but i dont know where to find it i want to try it out lol see if it suits me and easy for me.

Battlefield2fan said:
lol i dont use linux it sux

So why are you posting in a linux forum?

I use slackware, have for years.Patrick Volkerding so far has managed to do what nobdoy else has, until either he gives up slackware development or somebody else does a better job, I cant see a reason to quit using slackware or my own homebrew linux version.

Welll... Ive tried So many, But I have A couple of favorites

Xandros
Ubuntu 5.04
MandrakeMOVE 9.2 (for testing Perposes, have A copy of 9.1 i'll put on the New machine)
Slackware

The best Live Linux Distro I've come accross and use, Frequently OTHER than Mandriva 9.2MOVE is probably BeatrIX, PCLinuxOS isn't bad though

Dark Sniper Man, you say you want to try out FreeBSD? use the Live CD version of it called FreeSIBE

D/L it here:

http://tzone.freesbie.org/?section=download-en

Cathch you later all,

Jake

slackware, slackware, and more slackware.

been on the slack wagon since 2.0, tried tons of distros since...i keep coming back to slack.

most stable i could find, most configurable, straightforward, makes you learn what you're doing[which i love], most unix-like, and so on...

i would never recommend anything else.

Debian

Tryed many other distros alwasy go back to debian.

macdude425 said:
Right now, none normally.

But when i borrow my dad's PC, it's SuSE 9.1 Personal and DSL 1.1.
Osx is unix based

I guess we need a Red Hat Man in here.. I've used RedHat since......well since when I started using Linux. I have RH 9.0 running a web server. and am using RHE3 on a duel boot with XP.
I also like Slackware and have a box running it.

suse9.2, its well supported and easy to use whether you are a beginner or an expert. did have red hat but never really got on with it

i used freebsd for just under a month now.. so far i'm loving it :D

Dark_Sniper* said:
i dont have one ive been checking into alot of them but from what i have seen i like debain,mandrake, i want to get freeBSD but i dont know where to find it i want to try it out lol see if it suits me and easy for me.

erm.. may be try googling freebsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom