Virus infected system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobo_man

In Runtime
OK, So I got home today and my computer is being overrun by "probably a varaiant of Win32/Genetik Trojan". I use a memory stick to transfer files from my company because I'm a department manager and I need to make schedules. Apparently, my memory stick got infected with a "Win32/VB.NJO Worm". It seems like everytime it was cleaned, the virus kept coming back, so I payed no attention to it. I have known that the memory stick was infected for some time, but nothing bad ever happened because my antivirus always caught the files and deleted them.
I'm using ESET Nod32 3.0 Antivirus. I'm assuming that somehow the worm got into my system, which I find almost impossible because my antivirus is always running with the real-time system protection. This is odd since I have NEVER been infected successfully with a virus. It's odd because I used the computer just this morning before going to work and everything was fine. No one has touched this computer between the time I left and returned. Nonetheless, this virus is going around my system infecting .exe, and .dll files. The folders which contained programs are virtually empty.
I haven't received an infection warning for awhile now, so is it safe to assume that the virus is eliminated? I was going to reformat my entire harddrive, but I checked the log and it seems that no operating system files have been touched.
My course of action is to reinstall all programs that were deleted by the virus. My antivirus is up-to-date now and I'm going to run a full system scan. Is there anything else I should do?

Do you run a personal firewall on your PC? I recommend Sunbelt and there is an article about it here if you want to see what it's like. I use it, AVG Antivirus, and Super AntiySpyware but I'm what you might call "Security Conscious". You may want to consider downloading something like AVG Antivirus and running it one time just to see if there is something ESET is missing. It's not impossible for different AV programs to miss different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom