Video capture not working from Canon ZR 930

runcat

Solid State Member
Hi, New to this forum and asking for help.
I am trying to capture video from my Canon ZR930 to my Acer Travelmate 5520 laptop using Corel video studio 12. I am using the correct firewire 4-pin cable.
The laptop recognizes the camera. It let's me control the camera functions from the laptop but when I click on 'capture' it does run, but there is nothing in the preview window and no video is being captured. I followed the setting instructions as per the camera's manual and Corel's help.
When I tell it to capture from the laptop's webcam, it works fine. I tried a different capture program (Windows movie maker) and the same thing happens.
Do I need a special Canon-specific software? There is nothing on Canon's website or in the manual.
Thanks in advance
runcat

By video capture, you mean LIVE video capture straight to the laptop? Cause I was pretty sure the firewire capabilities of older tape camcorders was exclusively for video "transfer".
This is the only thing in the manual on computer connection:
*refer to attached .pdf*

It says you have to be in playback mode for the "video transfer" to work.
Which is fine if your taking previously shot footage and loading on the computer, but I don't think it'll work for live capture.

Unless someone else knows of a way to do it.

Last edited:
Thank you Yevrag35. I mean 'video transfer' from previously recorded video, but it is still 'direct'. (sort of) The camera uses a tape to store the video in digital form, not on a memory chip in file format.
Yes, I have the camera in playback mode. I can even control the camera functions (stop, play, fast forward, etc.) from the laptop.

Alright, make sure you have the latest drivers from Canon's website. What OS are you running?

Edit: Just checked their website, there's nothing but the software. (Which you have?)

This is why I just use my Dazzle. Eliminates so many headaches.

Last edited:
I am running Vista home premium.
Just checked the camera manual again. It says, the driver will be automatically installed by windows98 and later. It also says, the computer must have a IEEE1394 (DV) capturing board installed. Maybe that's my problem. How can I check if my laptop has such aboard?
Software. I checked the camera menu, couldn't fine a selection for software download?
Could it be a fault in the camera itself?
Thanks for your time

Still not getting video. Camera is accepting capture command, is running, counter is counting on laptop. Nothing in preview window.
When I hit 'stop' on laptop, a window pops up: 'file corrupt or not usable. Will be deleted automatically"

when you plugged in the camcorder for the first time, did a pop up box in the corner tell you that the "device drivers were installed succesfully"?

Back
Top Bottom