Setting up a network at a colocation using Cisco gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
Hello!

Right now I have 7 servers at a colocation facility.

One server is a messaging server, running exchange/FTP services while managing VMWare and running 2 virtual servers, so it's kind of like 3 servers in one. This server runs Win2k3 Ent edition.

This has 6 other servers who run misc software and run computational tasks, with the only need to communicate with that one messaging server. These are all Win2k3 servers.

Right now, I'm managing an upgrade of all these servers. I've picked up a PIX-501 firewall and a 2950-24 Layer 3 switch.

The problem: I have no idea how to set up this network, how many IP's I need, how to route these packets and basically what general direction I'm taking this upgrade.

I've mapped out the network, however I don't understand why I require two IP's for everything to manage. I was told I need two IP's, one for the firewall, and one for everything else.

Any help/advice would be appreciated! This is my first time upgrading and working with this equipment.

I have a CCNA cert, but I am not at all familiar with the PIX Firewalls.

I know we have a few members who are good with advnaced networking topics, but not sure if they are familiar with PIX either.

Hm thanks for the post,

If it helps,

The cabinet has just one ethernet drop and one power outlet. I think I might need a power management unit also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom