Question about OS Maverick

fallenapples

In Runtime
I'm using OS X Lion 10.7.5 and I would like to download Xcode, but it will not let me. So I guess I have no choice and have to upgrade to Maverick. If I do this will it format my HDD automatically or do I have to back up all of my current programs and files via time machine?

Also, do the version numbers follow the OS X in sequence?, e.g. Lion 10.7.5, There would be no Lion 10.8 correct? Only Mountain Lion 10.8

You can still download Xcode 4.6 for Lion, it's in the developer section though.

And if you're upgrading to 10.9 then no you don't have to format your hdd, you can run the installer over the top and it'll update the system files only.

The version numbers are always 10.X for the main releases (i.e 10.4 is Panther, 10.5 is Leopard, 10.6 is Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.9 Mavericks)
The next number is the update number (i.e 10.7.5 is the 5th update released, 10.7.4 was the fourth, 10.7 was the original release)

Yeah you should have no problems updating to Mavericks. It will give you some nice features for free as well so whats to lose.

Upgrade is free and easy. In the Mac App store, locate Mavericks and click install. Enter your password, wait a few minutes, and you should be up and running with no problems.

Upgrade to Maverick anyways. I was a bit cautious too but everything runs well with Mav on my Mac Air (mid 11), with no noticeable lag or instability. Do it!

Anyone who is running OSX now should definitely consider updating to patch the SSL security bug. Apparently it's pretty easy to exploit..

How long does the process take? And you're sure it will leave everything the way it was before?

I guess it depends on how quick you can download the update. But it shouldn't take more than 30min.

I've been running it for a few months now and i have had no problems. Everything is stable.

Back
Top Bottom