Career changes? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdinkel

Daemon Poster
Has anyone here gone through changing your career path in a drastic way?

Right now, I've had realizations about the major not being what I want to do for the next 30 years. Between a class that was way out there, talks with people about a lot of things, I think that the market i thought i could swim in is going to be too overpowering for me.

So I've done some realizations, reflections, and even a career counseling analysis to see what I can do. It seems like Education is the field that will be the most suited for me.

More specifically, Business Education is what they say I'm suited for, but yet the profiling software says that the younger kids would be my best-matched strength.

Anyone that has gone through it please post. Maybe some advice on how to find that fit.

I went through a career change in a very drastic way. I was involved in a car accident (not my fault) and the multi-billion dollar corporation that I worked for decided they didn't need me anymore.

Does that count? Or are you talking about changing majors in college?

Dave :D

Well, really any career changes that came about and really anything that may have caused it. More or less I've been thinking about it a lot and want to make sure i don't make a mistake that will limit what i can do. It seems that my dad went through the same thing when he realized he couldn't become a chemist.

I guess there are two things that came out of this telecomm class : me realizing that I am not smart enough to be the "boss" in that capacity, and that i'm more suited for an educator role than some person working in the field, becoming dispensible as the market turns.

Having a major and a minor doesn't hurt. I originally started out to be in the education field, but I found out that I didn't like teaching HS with my student teaching. However, that field was in Industrial Technology and Design. So, I went from teaching to working for a consulting engineering firm. I loved the design work (new designs and problems with every new job that we undertook). But I also finished college with Building Management.

I changed jobs from the engineering firm to a large corporation for the money and benefits increase. My education background, along with the management degree (and my dazzling BS) got me promoted to a training and development job/career in management. That was my favorite of all work; and it was management with educating involved.

So I had made a big change in college that added a few years to my graduation. Those changes were fortunate for me later on.

BTW, being the boss in any situation does not mean that you're smarter than the rest in that field. It sometimes means that you know "enough" in that field to manage people that are smart in that field. Isn't that how Bill Gates became what he is today?

My opinion is to not be afraid to change if you find out you don't like what you're doing, or if you like something else, or feel more qualified with something else. And if you don't like a J.O.B., I don't think you'll ever really excel in that position.

Dave :D

mrdinkel said:
Has anyone here gone through changing your career path in a drastic way?

I some thing that I am perparing myself for next year.

Depends on FROM what TO what. Like I am moving currently moving away from computers and getting my head stuck into CCTV Security Systems.

The other thing that I am going to see about doing is getting my Teaching Certificate and see if there is any position (even part time) for Teaching IT at one of the community collages.

Ha, i just changed course in college myself. I was going into Business Administartion, but then decided it wasn't for me, so now I'm going into accounting. I'd like to become a CPA or go into real estate or the mortgage industry.

I installed carpet for 20 years then went back to school and got my degree. I saw that my body wasn't going to be able to continue what I was doing for many more years. I got into IT and am putting my brain to work. It has low miles. Now I have a job that isn't physicaaly demanding, has benefits, and lots of room for growth. It will take a few years to get back to the pay scale I was in, (I made about twice as much as I do now) but it will be worth it.

I've worked retail for the past two years and over the years I've come to hate it. But some days it's not so bad and nobody can pay me more money right now in any career field since I don't have a degree. I was thinking about going for a Bachelor's in Computer Science but right now I'm stuck between that, Business Administration, and Political Science. I'm also going to take a music theory class to see how I like that. I've really got no idea where I want to go right now...

I was going to change from IT over to automotives lol because i couldnt find a good job,, like 8 years ago. Turned out i just lived in a crappy area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom