Cant Get My Web Global!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know firsthand that many ISP's block incoming port 80 requests. I believe (can't say 100%) the reason this doesn't effect your normal web browsing is that when you make a connection to a remote server on port 80, that remote server responds on a different port using a SYN/ACK packet so your computer knows what it is getting.

It is possible to get around this port 80 block. (Although it may violate the terms and conditions with your ISP!) You do this by using a port 80 redirect. Pick a high numbered port to open on your router and forward that port to port 80 on the computer you want to server web pages from.

There are dynamic DNS sites you can sign up for which will assign a port 80 redirect to a URL so all you need to give people is mysnazzyinternetsite.generic.com (or whatever).

As mentioned above, you will not be able to access your own webpages using either your external IP or the URL unless you have a very specific setup. (And, yes, I have witnessed this firsthand so I know it to be true)

Hope this helps you. And if it doesn't I hope it at least looked pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom