ARM OS that can execute

rhinotekmn

Solid State Member
Hey guys and gals,

I am looking for an OS that can run executable files (like Windows) and can run on ARM CPU.:umm: I am not looking for anything fancy, I really just need the core to run an application as it's sole purpose. Any ideas?

Thanks for the input!

RhinoTekMN:Challenge:

Well..that's not really going to work. ARM is a different architecture than what normal EXE's run on - which is x86/x64. The EXE's would have to be built for ARM devices (like apps in the Windows App Store). But standard Windows x86/x64 programs won't work. Even if it could emulate the x86/x64 architecture required...that'd take a lot of power (which ARM isn't meant for), and most likely run terrible at that.

Well..that's not really going to work. ARM is a different architecture than what normal EXE's run on - which is x86/x64. The EXE's would have to be built for ARM devices (like apps in the Windows App Store). But standard Windows x86/x64 programs won't work. Even if it could emulate the x86/x64 architecture required...that'd take a lot of power (which ARM isn't meant for), and most likely run terrible at that.
I am not sure if this makes a difference, but the application that I am trying to run is a third party .exe that was built for WinXP. The actual operation of the application uses .timg's and .zfimg's to pound firmware into external dumb comps that calculate GPS and communicate on the can. Still no go?

Definitely still a no-go unfortunately.

Like I said, the only Windows programs that are able to run on ARM are Windows Apps (like from the App store) that were made to run on ARM architecture.

You'll have to find some alternative software to do what you want - I'm sure Linux may have some way of doing want you want, but you may end up having to develop a custom application at that point, especially if it's not compiled for ARM.

I might suggest looking in to an ITX board or a micro ITX board. They use a low power Intel CPU that can run windows. An alternative would also be a Raspberry Pi board. They can run Linux. They brought out a ver 2 of the Pi recently that's still a good bang for the buck. Check over at Adafruit.com.

I might suggest looking in to an ITX board or a micro ITX board. They use a low power Intel CPU that can run windows.
PicoITX would be an option as well...if they still even make Pico-ITX boards.

[/quote]An alternative would also be a Raspberry Pi board. They can run Linux. They brought out a ver 2 of the Pi recently that's still a good bang for the buck. Check over at Adafruit.com.[/QUOTE]

Well then he's still back to square 1, because RPi's are ARM based.

PicoITX would be an option as well...if they still even make Pico-ITX boards.
An alternative would also be a Raspberry Pi board. They can run Linux. They brought out a ver 2 of the Pi recently that's still a good bang for the buck. Check over at Adafruit.com.[/QUOTE]

Well then he's still back to square 1, because RPi's are ARM based.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is my problem. My work wants to run an application built for windows on a raspberry pi so that users can operate on the go. I really just need something that is small enough like a raspberry pi, that has an x86 cpu or can execute as if it does, I don't want to use an emulator because that will add a step for the user. I am basically trying to make a rugged tough tablet that can handle CAN communication and pound firmware over serial.:mad: Gotta love when you have to support archaic crap in the name of UX, because no one wants to adapt to modern tech.

There's small devices like the Intel NUC and Gigabyte BRIX that could be something to look into.

There's small devices like the Intel NUC and Gigabyte BRIX that could be something to look into.
I have thought about BRIX and NUC but they are almost 10x the price of a raspi, do you think a minnowboard would do the trick? Or a Gizmo2? Also is anyone in the know of the WinXP ISO, I am wondering if it is full license freeware yet?

I have thought about BRIX and NUC but they are almost 10x the price of a raspi, do you think a minnowboard would do the trick? Or a Gizmo2?

Haven't heard of 'em, so I'd have to look into them I guess.

Also is anyone in the know of the WinXP ISO, I am wondering if it is full license freeware yet?

You really need to stay off of XP since support has dropped. I guess unless these devices are never going to be connected to a network or the internet. And no, Windows doesn't go to freeware. Even DOS isn't freeware.

Back
Top Bottom