Squeeky Harddrive? :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGeMex

Baseband Member
So as the title suggests, I think I have a squeeky HDD. I hear it coming from my pc, so I let it go, prolly just a fan being a moron, it'll be fine. It keeps happening, and just now it actually sounded like I had some sort of grasshopper in my computer, you know the noise they make at night. So I open her up, stop all the fans, chipset first, cos this is the loudest in my pc, and it was still making the noise. My two case fans, cpu fan, graphics card fan, even poked some plastic in my psu to stop that fan, and still it continued. So i'm like, hmm maybe an optical drive, opened both them up it carried on, BUT, when I shut em, you know your pc tries to load something from em, well there was a disk in one, so it was loading that, meanwhile I had my head inside my pc listening, and then the HDD does it's thing, making the loading noises, and in between these loading noises comes the grasshopper sound. When it loads again, the noise stops. So my question to you, is, could it be my HDD? I don't really fancy shelling out £100+ for a couple of new HDD's but if it means I don't lose, well, everything, then I will.
FYI, I just searched a few hdd's real quick, and the grasshopper noise happens during the normal loading noise, then stops after the loadings done. So it must be these. Any advice? :(.
Maybe first I should find out which one it is, master or slave, guess I can just take out the slave can't I, and put it back in see if i hear anything. Can't now though, it's 2:19am. bed time.. kthx

have you tried running some hard drive diagnostic programs. you can find them all over the internet for free. but you should probably start to back up your data cause that just sounds like a head crash waiting to happen.

see if you harddrives are secured right mine were making a sound and i just tighten the screws and now no sound

The squeeking usually occurs before a harddrive is about to fail. I would stop using them immediately, buy new drives and transfer your data across before it's too late.

There are the odd occasions I have come across drives that just get noisy and can last another year or so, but it generally isnt a good idea to push it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom