£1400 pc problems..wont refund me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPEANUT

Beta member
ok i bought a new pc six months ago.....ever since then i have had problems with it right from when i got it.....since i have had it it has been in the shop numerous times to have parts replaced....first of all i had 2 sata hardrives replaced the motherboard has been replaced due to a fan breaking down....
i still have problems with the hardrives not detecting on boot up (hardrive failure please insert system disc) even after formatt?
i am running an nvidia graphics card geeforce 6800gt thats sytem temperature is running into 80 when machine is idle and up to 110 in game....this has been going on for six months now and i dont want the machine anymore as i use it for work djing and have had to cancel gigs and have had crashes whilst working....and have lost alot of money...i just cant rely on this system!
they said they dont think i can have my money back because the system was built to the specs i asked for....am i still intitled to a refund....i have full 12 month warrenty and dont want the thing fixing again to come back with problems again like in the past (been in the shop 6 times alltogether)...are they obliged to give me a refund or not?

by the way my system specs are

asus a8n sli deluxe(replaced once as was faulty)
1.5 gig ddr memory
2 sata hardrives 200 gig maxtor (both replaced)
nvidia 600gt graphics
2dvd writer
dvd burner
tv card
windows xp proffessional x64bit edition(original disc)

btw hi ,looks like a good forum....i think i shall stay a while!

In the UK, people have consumer rights which means that you are intitled to a full refund if it is still within the warrenty. If you have any trouble theres a consumer rights phoneline that I saw an advert on tv a while ago for, they will sort you out.

yeah i thought as much but what if the people at the shop dont want to listen man....what can i do?.....do you have that phone number or know where i could get it?

The hard drive no being detected on boot sounds like a hard drive failure... but make sure all the cables are firmly attached. If the drive failed, all you can do is get a new one under warranty.

Extra fans and cooling devices should solve the temperature problems, but you have to look for external heat sources - the box sitting directly in the sunlight/near a heating duct/leaning up against the radiator/not getting any airflow/in a hot room/etc.

Whether or not you can get your money back from the compnay really depends on their refund policy and how you ask. I don't know how things work in the UK, but when I got a POS computer from Gateway a few years ago (and by the way, avoid Gateway like the Plauge - worst computer maker out there), I called up and yelled at customer service for like 8 hours (no kidding, 2 hours on hold) to no avail. When I cooled down, I called back, got a supervisor on the phone, got transfered to the customer retention department and (politely) told them that if I didn't get a refund I was going to sue them. They overnighted me all the stuff I needed to return the PC and I had my money back within a week. I don't know how it works for you Brits, but on this side of the pond, mention of lawyers and lawsuits works really well.

yes it comes up as hardrive failure but not allways ,i can reset my machine and it will then boot....btw this is the 3rd out of 4 hardrives ive had in the machine....even with a replaced motherboard....it was doing it on the old motherboard too? the cables are secure....my second hardrive is no longer detected on the machine either, it was there one minute then dissapeared the next same as the last ones lol (even isnt detected in bios)
this is why i dont want the machine full stop now ....6 months of this drives you mad.....ive had to formatt at least 30 times in six months lmao......because of hardrive detection problems....these hardrives are maxtor the first two where different brands.....and on same motherboards but replaced once due to fault...ive used pcs for 8 years now and built me own in the past (with no problems at all) this one was built by them for me ! and i cant for the life of me know why it keeps having various hardware failure
i just want to get rid and buy a laptop now im really annoyed...doin me head in.

It wouldn't surprise me if all this hardware failure is related to a bad power supply and/or overheating. But just get your money back and be more careful next time - make sure your next rig stays cool and the power supply is far away from the harddrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom