Display websites next to each other in Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Did you ever have the problem that you needed information from two websites at once and had to switch between them all the time to access them ? I usually have the problem when I write a new article for Ghacks and have to take a look at another website to find the information that I need for my article. This gets extremely irritating if many tabs are open at once and I miss the tab that I want. To much clicks in my opinion, that is why I was searching for a way to display two websites next to each other in Firefox.
splitbrowser.jpg

I did find the Split Browser extension for Mozilla Firefox which does exactly what I wanted. It allowed me to split the screen anyway I wanted it to split.
I could split the content area vertically or horizontally, and split those areas again if wanted. I'm happy with two websites that are next to each other vertically but you could theoretically split the content area in four windows or even more.
The author of the extension has a screenshot at the extensions website that shows a content area with about 20 websites. This is of course just for demonstration purposes, no one would really split the content area in that many parts. I think the limit is four different areas, probably more if you run really high resolutions.
Using the extension is no problem at all. Once you have installed the Split Browser extension and restarted Firefox you see that the extension added a new entry to the right-click menu. The entry is called Split Browser to and it appears on websites and on links.
The options are to split the browser above, right, left or below which actually loads the same website again in the space that you have selected. If you choose right for example it will split the content area that way that the same website is loaded again on the right side of the previous one. You are free to decrease or increase the size of every website in the content area.
If you wanted to create a new area in the second half you would right-click in that half and select below for example to part it again.

Or you could just use the tabs at the top of the screen....

i don't think anybody has that much trouble remembering information for 3 seconds

Opera has a multiple document interface (MDI), along with tabbed document interface (TBI). Firefox only has TBI.

operamdima9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom