A few questions about new build, also overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
I'm buying a new computer next week once my tax return gets here. It's about 2,300 total. I want to know a few different things before I click the send order button though. First off, I'll give you the set up:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 (Will be overclockoing as much as possible (see questions below)).
----------------
MoBo: ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard
----------------
GFX Card: EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card. (Only one for now, but in another few months I'll buy the second one for SLI Madness)
----------------
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (Will be buying a second set later on, Mobo supports up to 8GB)
----------------
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
----------------
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST75F ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply (Much higher in wattage, and also supports SLI 8800GTX specifically with it's 4x PCI-e connectors. Also has the very convenient modular cables.)
----------------
Display: Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support
----------------
Cooling:
1. ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
2. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
----------------
Case: See questions below.
-----------------------------

So to start, the case. I want to buy one of two things, either an Apevia X-Navigator, or an Armor. I know the armor are well appreciated, but do you think it's much more wise than the X-Navigator?

Also, I wanted to know about overclocking. I'll be buying an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with some Arctic Silver 5 to cool this baby since the stock HSF sucks. Anyways, will overclocking shortent he life of my CPU? Obviously I want to make it last as long as possible, but also want the best performance out of it. Does overclocking void my warrenty?

And another thing, could someone explain to me what AA and AF are? Apparently my cards (8800GTX Superclocked) in SLI will pwn anything else when using AA and AF modes.

Also, if you see anything that conflicts up there, please let me know. I heard about problems between the 8800GTX Superclocked and the 680i, should I be worried at all?

First things first..the Striker isn't worth it....get a regular EVGA and save yourself 100 bucks.

next, you do not need AS5 grease with the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 as the stuff on the HSF is already really good, as it's the same company.

Also are you just a hardcore Apevia fan or something? It only comes with 1 120mm fan and the Thermaltake not only with its better name in Cases has 2 120mm and 2 90mm. That's better man.

EDIT:Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (Will be buying a second set later on, Mobo supports up to 8GB)

^^DON'T GET THAT^^^

For gods sakes please get these instead

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Now for more questions...OC may kill a chip like a year sooner than the regular 10...do you really need it for 9 years though? hehe.

The 680i has some problems but with those two cards you have you really don't have another choice...I myself despise SLI as it isn't worth it. However to get the max performance at the time, that's what you need. I hate the 680i but it's the only real option for you.

Oh great some1 beat me to the punches, but Sora is right about everything, 680i is overpriced, XMS2 also overpriced (get gskill) and Apevia was once Aspire whos cases suck and have LAME power supplies (i learned this the hard way)

Newegg.com - EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
I hate 680i boards but you have two cards. Get this evga. It will have the least problems, and is cheaper. Over clocking on this thing is a dream as well. One bad thing is that these boards don't like high voltage ram. They will use it but will slowly kill it. I think with this newer one that problem has been solved. You can try it.
-
Get the ram sora told to get you. It is cheaper and has better performance value. You can also over clock the sh*t of it. I have had these and they are very nice.
-
Case wise is simple. Look for good named cases. They actually do research on case airflow. Get a armor. They are nice and well aperceadted.
-
AF and AA are something That I don't have complete knowledge on but I know the basics. You know when you are in a game and you are looking around and see a crack between two images in tha map of the game. What af and aa do is take the game and blow up the resolution 2x, 4x, 8x, or even 16x and then resize the resolution to your screens native resolution. Then that gets rid of all the cracks in the map, making your game look better and more crisp. If you are getting a second video card for this then it will help, but there is only about 10% boost in performance else were.
-
Over clocking will void your warenty but with the c2d it is very save and stable if you know what you are doing and don't over do it.

heh, befoer I read any replies I had already gotten rid of the st00pid Apev case, what a stupid thing to even consider XD.

Also, the G.Skill was something I was already getting. A long time ago someone said XMS2 sucked, I just forgot to update it in my set-up list.

I want the 680i, will there be compatibility issues with my video cards though?

For gods sakes please get these instead

hey sora i have momentarily hijacked the thread.
i know your g skill rocks but lookie here...
bowchikawowow...
bowchikawowow-1.jpg

nothin sucks about that, alexinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom