I've got it, finally. (Solution to all DRM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
I was reading this article I found on Slashdot, comparing the "DRM" of books, and how you can read them in the store, yet people still buy them to the DRM in movies and music. They even mentioned the Star Trek replicator, and how music and movies can be copied as simply as in the TV show. They brought up an interesting point - in order for DRM to be perfect, they need to make it as hard to copy movies and music as it is to photocopy books.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/drm_editorial/

Now, here is my solution, and I am 100% go for launch if they would actually do it. Now, this doesn't cover TV shows, as I guess we'd just have to go back to analog NTSC cable, but here's my solution:

1. Burn (not write, burn as in fire) all CD's, DVD's, HD-DVD's and Blu-Ray's.
2. Release music on vinyl.
3. Sell movies on film strips, and sell projectors.

It's a well known fact that vinyl sounds absolutely amazing, far better than any of that digital crap. And we also all know that film is way higher quality than 1080p. 100% analog = 100% awesome.

Sell people projectors and turn tables.

Anyone have anything to add to this other than "nu uh fool, like ... dig!tal vid3o is teh shiz" ? I'm sure macdude425 will agree with my 100% on this. :p

Only problem I see is that people will be thinking that it's worse because it's not as "technological" as DVDs and such. I like your idea though..

The only thing about vinyl and film is that they sound and look awesome at first, but after several uses they sound and look like crap. Have you ever been to a $1.00 theater? They have all of the second hand films, and there are usually a lot of blemishes on them. But you are right, in the beginning, you can't beat the quality.

forrestcupp said:
The only thing about vinyl and film is that they sound and look awesome at first, but after several uses they sound and look like crap. Have you ever been to a $1.00 theater? They have all of the second hand films, and there are usually a lot of blemishes on them. But you are right, in the beginning, you can't beat the quality.

Yeah, then people will buy it again. At least, that's what we always did. Oh, your record got scratched? Buy a new one.

It's perfect. They want more sales, this is the way to do it. Plus, I'm sure that with all these new technology, we'd be able to make better sounding ones that are smaller and have two needles and surround sound.

I just think it would be cool. :)

Go to Best Buy and buy your movies in a can.

Pioneer selling ELITE reel-to-reel projectors. :)

Shelves packed with vinyl again. :D

Gah, I love it. I'm probably gunna got to eBay and see what I can find.

Ya, im not so much on the Vinyl, because what I remember, it didn't sound the best. As for film on a reel, it will never fly, because DVD/VHS was just way easier than film on a reel. I worked as a projectionist for a few years...it's not the easiest. That's the way the industry is leaning towards though. Small, Digital, Easy. Your plan may work as far as a DRM model, but the industry will never accept it.

maybe if we begin spraying DDT over populated areas again, we can numb everyone's minds and convince them that this is for their better good. If your plan takes off, I guess I'd better get into the entertainment industry.

It's a well known fact that vinyl sounds absolutely amazing, far better than any of that digital crap
Opinion only. If talking about todays music, it seems that they leave some dynamics on the vinyls and don't just completely compress the christ out of it, but as far as it actually sounding "Better", well....like many have said, maybe the first couple of times, but it wouldn't take very long for the vinyl to start not sounding great. Vinyl does present it's own unique sound of course :D

And yeah, I don't have a desire to carry around a ton of movie containers or vinyls either when I can carry around 100 CD's at any given time easily.

nubius has an awesome point - compression. There is no possible way to transfer our compressed music onto vinyl. The vinyl press would just carve a hole instead of nooks/crannies.

I do love vinyl and I LIKE the analog sound to it, but it isn't anywhere close to a CD.

The General said:
Yeah, then people will buy it again. At least, that's what we always did. Oh, your record got scratched? Buy a new one.

It's perfect. They want more sales, this is the way to do it. Plus, I'm sure that with all these new technology, we'd be able to make better sounding ones that are smaller and have two needles and surround sound.

I just think it would be cool. :)

Go to Best Buy and buy your movies in a can.

Pioneer selling ELITE reel-to-reel projectors. :)

Shelves packed with vinyl again. :D

Gah, I love it. I'm probably gunna got to eBay and see what I can find.

i think life would be a **** hole then......

and why turn back the wheels of technology General??? You are on the TECH FORUMS for a reason arent you??

other then to turn everyone into a vinyl loving, microsoft hating robot??

but i do admire your oppinnion of the worlds technology....im not going to say you dont have the right to say what you want....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom