5 questions about connection from my computer to my HDTV....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
1) i have TV-Out that works, but looks like ****, but i was wondering if my HDTV is suppose to have a DVI-I plug in the back? Because my computer has DVI-I too.

if so, then im screwed then, my (family) HDTV is a Sony WEGA 55-inch 1080i HDTV, 2 HDMI inputs, 2 component, 4 S-video --- November 2004 --- n i dont see any DVI-like inputs in the back just HDMIs.

2) is there a DVI-I connector where DVI-I to HDMI (DVI-I one end, HDMI the other)?

HDCP: control digital audio and video content as it travels across Digital Visual Interface (DVI) or High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connections.

3) Controls audio n video content as it travels across DVI or HDMI, how does it control it?

4) Is it different then a connection from a graphics card to the HDTV without HDCP?

5) How could i tell the difference in playing PC games?

I am planning on getting the ATI R600 due to come out January 22nd *not Vista Ultimate yet, sry guys* n it is rumored, from Wikipedia.org, that it will have DVI or HDMI connector featuring HDCP --- when i get the money that is --- .

Your HDTV isn't supposed to have DVI-I inputs, but some do. My HDTV has two DVI, VGA, HDMI, two componant, and the other inputs that don't matter (composite, S-video etc...)

Not all HDTV's have inputs like these, so that's why you should have checked that it had these input before you bought it.

You could get a DVI -> HDMI adapter, but I can't guarantee any better results with that, as HDMI only supports a few resolutions, so if your TV has a native resolution of 1366x768, you could only set it to 1280x720, etc (the "HD" resolutions).

HDCP is just encryption, that's how it controls it. Control as in "you can't record it" ... control as in DRM. Control as in "Nazi Germany." The difference comes in whether or not you can record it. DVI and HDMI have the exact same pin-outs, but HDMI has two more for audio. HDMI quite literally is just rearranged DVI with coax digital combined, it's nothing special.

I don't know about you, but I prefer an unencrypted data stream over an encrypted data stream, unless I am the one who encrypts it.

"HD" = high resolution

If your computer monitor is 1280x1024, it's higher "HD" than most HDTV's which are 1280x720. You won't notice a difference in games, other than the fact that your HDTV is bigger than your computer monitor.

The General said:
Your HDTV isn't supposed to have DVI-I inputs, but some do. My HDTV has two DVI, VGA, HDMI, two componant, and the other inputs that don't matter (composite, S-video etc...)

Not all HDTV's have inputs like these, so that's why you should have checked that it had these input before you bought it.

You could get a DVI -> HDMI adapter, but I can't guarantee any better results with that, as HDMI only supports a few resolutions, so if your TV has a native resolution of 1366x768, you could only set it to 1280x720, etc (the "HD" resolutions).

HDCP is just encryption, that's how it controls it. Control as in "you can't record it" ... control as in DRM. Control as in "Nazi Germany." The difference comes in whether or not you can record it. DVI and HDMI have the exact same pin-outs, but HDMI has two more for audio. HDMI quite literally is just rearranged DVI with coax digital combined, it's nothing special.

I don't know about you, but I prefer an unencrypted data stream over an encrypted data stream, unless I am the one who encrypts it.

"HD" = high resolution

If your computer monitor is 1280x1024, it's higher "HD" than most HDTV's which are 1280x720. You won't notice a difference in games, other than the fact that your HDTV is bigger than your computer monitor.

alright cool, thx for the example of HDCP, because me n my friend were not sure about it either, i couldnt even explain it to him lol. Thx for the info!

i did find out last week online that monitors give better resolution then the HDTVs out right now, but ive seen better at CES 2007. Is this true? Are monitors better then HDTVs? What kind of monitors? If so, how?

if u can answer me this, then i will be thrilled :) .

as for the HDTV i got, like i said in parentheses, it is a family TV n i wasnt there when we bought it; Nov. '04 was when it was made, plus, i was a stupid teenager n a dumb geek. IF i knew about computers n stuff, then we might of gotten one with DVIs, but now that i know i need a DVI-I adapter (for monitor) n a HDMI adapter for the HDTV.

Wildside said:
alright cool, thx for the example of HDCP, because me n my friend were not sure about it either, i couldnt even explain it to him lol. Thx for the info!

i did find out last week online that monitors give better resolution then the HDTVs out right now, but ive seen better at CES 2007. Is this true? Are monitors better then HDTVs? What kind of monitors? If so, how?

if u can answer me this, then i will be thrilled :) .

as for the HDTV i got, like i said in parentheses, it is a family TV n i wasnt there when we bought it; Nov. '04 was when it was made, plus, i was a stupid teenager n a dumb geek. IF i knew about computers n stuff, then we might of gotten one with DVIs, but now that i know i need a DVI-I adapter (for monitor) n a HDMI adapter for the HDTV.

Well, a 24" LCD is higher resolution than the highest level of HD. They are usually 1920x1200, wheras the highest HD is 1920x1080. 30" LCDs are 2560x1600, which is EVEN higher, but average monitors aren't as high resolution.

To compare them to your HDTV which is probably 1280x720 (720p), most monitors are higher resolution than that, but they don't have HDMI inputs and such, or tuners for that matter, and they aren't big like TV's and such.

Yeah, I understand how that is, though, with the parents and such. I kept telling my father what he needs to look for in an HDTV, and he had a good idea of what he wanted, but in the end he went to Costco and got the cheapest one they had. :(

But he likes it, so I guess that's all the matters.

The General said:
Well, a 24" LCD is higher resolution than the highest level of HD. They are usually 1920x1200, wheras the highest HD is 1920x1080. 30" LCDs are 2560x1600, which is EVEN higher, but average monitors aren't as high resolution.

To compare them to your HDTV which is probably 1280x720 (720p), most monitors are higher resolution than that, but they don't have HDMI inputs and such, or tuners for that matter, and they aren't big like TV's and such.

Yeah, I understand how that is, though, with the parents and such. I kept telling my father what he needs to look for in an HDTV, and he had a good idea of what he wanted, but in the end he went to Costco and got the cheapest one they had. :(

But he likes it, so I guess that's all the matters.

cool, now i get it thx.

o by the way in case u forgot, my HDTV is 1080i, not 720p. Thx a lot man, u helped me big time.

Wildside said:
cool, now i get it thx.

o by the way in case u forgot, my HDTV is 1080i, not 720p. Thx a lot man, u helped me big time.

No, it's 720p which can accept 1080i signals, then deinterlace and scale them to 720p. 1080i need 1920x1080 pixels, which, if a TV has that many pixels, makes it a 1080p television which didn't start becoming mainstream until about 6 months ago.

But yeah, no problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom