Serious FPS Issues on a New pc - Help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

s37d

Banned
A friend of mine is having problems with his computer that to me make no sense, so maybe you guys could help? Here's the situation. His computer, which we built together for him about 8 months ago, consisted of:
*P4P800S
*3.4 P4
*2 gigs of ram (2 sticks of Patriot DDR400 1024mb)(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220045)
*Geforce 5700FX, which he installed from his older computer.
*SB Audigy

Now, the problem began about a month ago. He had recently purchased a Geforce 6800, about a month and a half ago, and it ran great for about 2 weeks. Then his fps started dropping in the 2 games he played: World of Warcraft and Battlefield. The FPS would be fine when he logged in the game - not great, but decent. After a minute or two, the FPS would start to decrease drastically, to the point where it was down to 5-10 and was barely playable. First thing that came to my mind was memory leak, but I was under the impression that memory leaks were isolated to that particular game/program, as his problem was with both Battlefield -and- World of Warcraft.

To solve this, he tried to buy another stick of the same ram, Patrior 1GB DDR400. Now, having 3GB of ram and a decent vid card(6800GT), everything should most definitely run smooth. Nope. Same issue: within a few minutes of the game being openened, the FPS bombed and it was barely playable. We suspected it might be the video card, even though it did work fine for 2 weeks, so he tried installing the old video card(5700FX). No difference, still the same issue.

Now we pretty much have no idea what is wrong, so we'd really appreciate any help you could give. Appreciate is an understatement actually, we're in dire need of assistance. Thanks for reading.

Update to the latest video drivers. Also, check the temperatures of the CPU/GPU. What is the power supply rated at? Try reloading the operating system as a last resort.

We just checked the CPU temp from BIOS and it was at 93ºC/165ºF. My computer runs at 55ºC so yeah his is high. Do you really think it would be high enough to cause these problems though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom