Problem of External Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpringNite

In Runtime
Hello bros, i need help about my external hard drive. i just bought a external hard drive (western digital 200GB) . When i plug into my computer USB2 , it detects it and show me a little message ( you're ready to use ) . But when i click on "my computer", it doesnt show out the local disk... Can anyone please help me out ? My problem is it detects it but doesnt show in "my computer" there.. what happened ? Does externa hard drive need to install window ?

start-->settings-->control panel-->administrative tools-->computer managment-->disk management , if your gonna connect it across multiple pcs you might wanna consider using fat32 instead of ntfs (as ntfs is supported only by nt/2k/xp/2k3/vista and fat32 is universally compatible) but the disk managment wont let you do fat32 for partitions higher then 32gb however it is possible with various 3rd party partition managers

OMG, i coulnt get ur guys' mean, please teach me step by step, it's 200GB in my external hard drive. when i checked it in disk management, it doesnt show out the external hard drive too as i have already switched on the power of external hard drive.

jeremy's post should give you all you need. when you go into disk management there should be a diagram on the right that represents your new hdd. it should say something like "unallocated space". right click on it and click the option that says something like "create partition". that should start a wizard that will take you through the rest of the steps

oh thanks, so it will be my primary partition or extended partition ? and my hard drive is 200gb, why it show 186.1gb only ?

That is because of the file system, when your drive is formatted FAT32/NTFS there is a file which is like the TOC (Table of contents) on a CD it stores info on where the files are stored. This is normal for all drives, its unavoidable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom