Computer freezes when I play a dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

lws_junior

Baseband Member
On a new build whenever I play a dvd movie (from a disc or from the hard drive) the computer freezes up. I tried using three different players. Windows media player 9, Nero showtime and Power DVD 5.0.

Even after a complete system restore the problem still persists.

I'm running windows Xp-sp2 Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Update:

I reinstalled Windows 2k sp4 and it's doing the same thing, computer locks up when playing a movie. Perhaps it's some setting on the motherboard? I have the Asus P4P800E-Delux mb. Again any help would be appreciated.

Have you checked the temp of your computer.You might have a lot of dust cloging your CPU and causing to much heat. Do you get any lock ups doing anything else.

Thanks for the replies

Asus P4P800E Delux motherboard

ATI Sapphire 1024-TC13-05-SAL Radeon 9250
256 MB AGP 4x/8x

Intel Celeron D 345 Prescott

2-512 Mb OCZ Ram (duel channel)

The CPU temp is well within normal limits. DMA is enabled.
From what I gathered I believe it is. I checked the IDE tansfer properties in device manager. They are set to Advance DMA mode for both the primary and secondary channels. Also when I installed Power DVD 5 I had the option to set my dvd rom and writer to DMA in which I did.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the link.

To my suprise by disableing the DMA on the IDE devices solved the problem. Movies now play just fine. Small problem though.

When playing a movie from the hard drive the audio sounds Ok. When playing a movie from the Dvd rom drive or the Dvd writer the audio is sort of choppy. Please reply if you might know of a posssible fix for this. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom