Not open for further replies.

eatbutt

Banned
WHAT DOES A DUAL PROCCESOR DO?
pros?
cons?
speed changes?
everything u can think of?:beard:

More work for less money, cheaper to add another processor than another whole PC,even with the extra cost of a special motheboard.That applies to dual cores or dual processor boards.

It isnt double the speed though, you lose some due to latency and shared memory etc etc.

Software is an issue, not all OS's or apps do multiprocessing very well if at all.

They cost more, in some cases, lots more.

no real benefit in my opinion unless you do ALOT of video encoding and audio encoding, or if you run 15 applications on screen at one time :), as for games or anything else you will notice no gain at all, ive only seen 2 games that supposedly support dual processor, and only tested one, it was one of the quakes(maybe quake3) and when you turned on SMP mode it crashes the second it starts...

so if you are a heavy encoder, go dual-processor, but otherwise just stay with a slightly faster single processor.

can u run 2 monitors with different apps running on them with a dual processor and if u can, how do u do it?

sure, you dont need a second cpu for it either, it can be done with a second video card alone

if you wanted to do it with a second processor all you have to do is assign the apps in question and display output to the second cpu/display

I have no clue if this can be done in all OS's, in the multiuser ones this is quite easy

xp can do it easily, but you dont even need 2 graphics cards, most cards now support dual display, SLI does not, but if im not mistaken the ATI crossfires will allow dual display, a very good idea if you ask me. but anyways, never go dual processor for any normal usage :)

the dual processor issue is about to change, and in less than 6-8months, windows to my knowledge does not allow independent control of the cpu's at the shell level interface, multiuser OS's do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom