psu limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
I have a 330watt antec truepower psu in my pc, and I plan to get some more ram. I have used this:http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ to see how much wattage i would be using and it ends up at 324watts as my minimum recommended wattage, would it be alright to run this close to my psu limits?

No it wonÂ’t be alright. Your PSU can handle it in the short run but not in the long run. If you do decide to stick with your psu it might eventually burn out because you've been running it at its peak Watt all the time which isnÂ’t good at all.

Your PSU can handle higher Watts to about 350W peak but only for a short while at a time so it wont be good to run your system then on it because it might damage your system.

I recommend you at least get over a 400W PSU to be safe and you will also be able maybe to use it in your next system.

Neosteve

will it be alright to run it at 304 watts? (which is what i have it at now)

edit: on the site i used they say this "Please Note: The Wattages listed below are maximum peak wattages for each component. The total amount this calculator figures is for all devices running at peak utilization. It is important to bear in mind that this amount will never be reached under typical operation. However we feel that this tool will give you a better idea of how much power your system will need. After all when it comes to power, having too large of a power supply is never a bad thing! It is important to note that power listings for some video cards are only estimates: the video card industry rarely reveal how much power their cards are drawing. "

Ya it would be ok to run it at 304 watts now.

If all those voltages wear at peak utilization then you can run your setup safely even with the new ram.

So go ahead and get your ram.

Neosteve

well i got 1gb extra just in case so if i was over i would sell my 2x256 on ebay or something, and i would have 1gb in there still.

i read on the antec website "Truepower power supply has voltage rails that are independent of each other" so i assume that is what you were talking about.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom