Having problem browsing to internet via a windows xp dial-in connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

olinuj

Beta member
Greetings!

I've setup a connection with my windows 98 pc to connect to the internet via windows xp dial-in.

This is what i did. In a pc with windows xp (the one that has DSL connection), i installed a modem and setup a dial-in so that it will accept an incoming connection through that modem. On the other pc with windows 98 se, i also installed a modem and setup a dial-up connection going to that pc with DSL so that i am able to browse the internet, that's my objective.

I was able to establish connection between the two PCs, but i have this problem, i can't browse to internet. what's wrong with my configuration? is there something that i must do to make it working? I doubt that this might be solve by an IP address but i don't know how to get in there.

uh...here's an additional info. the windows xp pc (the one that has DSL connection) is configured to share an internet connection to a LAN using ICS.

thank in advance...and more power.

kind regards,

jun

I think you r wrong. The two computers are connected with 56k connection (because you are using modems). So you ll not the DSL's speed. I think you better connect your win98 pc on your lan for more speed.
Sorry for my English.

No, it's ok snakegr. THANKS.

This is what i meant...I have 1 pc with windows xp os connected to internet using DSL and i configured it to share it's internet connection to a LAN by seting up the ICS. This means, i have lan cards installed on it in order to share the connection to the other members of the lan.

Next, on the other pc with windows 98 se os, which i also want to connect to the internet via that pc i mentioned above (the one with windows xp os), I installed an external modem so that i can make a dial-up connection going to that pc (the one with windows xp os), this is the only way to connect to that pc since it's remote.

Now, in this scenario, i have to install again another modem in the pc (the one with windows xp os) where i can get my connection to internet, then setup the dial-in connection so that it will accept the incoming connection. And this is my problem now...i can make a connection, i can ping the ip of the host pc (windows xp) but i can't browse to the internet.

any idea about this...pls. help me!

thanks.

kind regard,

jun

No, it's ok snakegr. THANKS.

This is what i meant...I have 1 pc with windows xp os connected to internet using DSL and i configured it to share it's internet connection to a LAN by seting up the ICS. This means, i have lan cards installed on it in order to share the connection to the other members of the lan.

Next, on the other pc with windows 98 se os, which i also want to connect to the internet via that pc i mentioned above (the one with windows xp os), I installed an external modem so that i can make a dial-up connection going to that pc (the one with windows xp os), this is the only way to connect to that pc since it's remote.

Now, in this scenario, i have to install again another modem in the pc (the one with windows xp os) where i can get my connection to internet, then setup the dial-in connection so that it will accept the incoming connection. And this is my problem now...i can make a connection, i can ping the ip of the host pc (windows xp) but i can't browse to the internet.

any idea about this...pls. help me!

thanks.

kind regard,

jun

dude. Internet connection sharing. Lose the direct connectors. Get a router they are cheap 20$. I suggest D link. You could also use a serial cable. Look it up on google im lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom