Status
Not open for further replies.

SED

Beta member
LAPTOP NETWORKING PROBLEM

Laptop concerned: ASUS
Model: A2000H on the box
A2500H on the bottom of the laptop
A20H/L in Windows XP under My Computer Properties.

2.8GHz 512RAM 40GB
Running Windows XP Pro SP1

I have a problem connecting the Laptop to my already existing home network. My home network comprises of 3 workstations all running Win XP Pro and a Netgear DG824M Wireless Router and Internet Gateway(ie it is an ADSL Modem as well). The 3 workstations are connected to the router through a wireless 802.11b connection. They all function correctly. They can all see and share files with each other and share the ADSL connection connected to the router.

When I tried connecting the laptop to this network this is what happened: The laptop can connect to the router and use the internet but cannot connect to the home network or any of the 3 workstations. When I click open Network neighbourhood on the laptop there are NO computers visible not even the Latop iteself. When I click on Netwrok neighbourhood on any of the other workstations I can see the laptop but when I try and open it I get "Not accessible.. dont have permissions.. contact adminstrator... The Network path not found" box pop up.

This is the bizzare part: The laptop can PING the Router and all 3 Workstations, but none of the workstations not even the Router can PING the Laptop! Yet the router can see the laptop as one if its attached devices, with the correct IP and MAC address.

When I run IPCONFIG on the laptop it has all the correct details that are the same as on the workstations. With matching IP as stated in the router.

Things I've tried:

The node type used to be Unknown, I changed that to Hybrid but it didn't help.

The router currently uses DHCP but even when I gave the whole network static IP's still no luck.

I tried turnign WEP on and off. No change.

I tried using the 10/100 Ethernet port on the laptop instead of the wireless, still no change.

Finally to top it off: I recommended the exact same laptop to a family friend. He tryed to connect to his network at work and ran into the same problem and colleage of his bought an LG laptop and had no problem what so ever.

I have Norton Internet Security installed: But I totally disabled it on ALL machines before trying anything. I don't think this is a problem because my friend doesn't have Norton IS installed and still has the same problem.

What am I forgeting?? Is there something I have overlooked?? I have spent hourse trying to fix it and searched the internet endlessly but found nothing.

Any help at all what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

I work on secure networks for the military so I do have some experiance here even though I am new here, HI EVERYBODY :D.

Anyhow back to your problem I know that you said you can ping the other three and when you run IP config it shows the correct into, but try running IPCONFIG/release then IPCONFIG/renew and see if that helps. Also make sure you are set to DHCP and your NIC card set to 100Mps full duplex and that should help. If not like csamuels said make sure you don't have a firewall that is preventing you from getting in although if you are able to ping the other three I doubt this is the problem.

Thank you all very much for your help.

The solution was a very simple one as it just about always is.

You were all quite on the right track, it was a firewall. One that I was unaware of .I turned off the Windows XP Firewall and the Norton Internet Security Firewall, but there was a third one that I did not know about. The ASUS Laptops come with PC-Cilin Antivirus pre-installed, with maximum security setting on. So there was my firewall. Once I turned it off in PC-Cillin everything worked like a charm.

So much aggravation over something so simple that can be so easily overlooked. None the less I'm just glad its fixed.

Once again thanks everyone who replied to my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom