Unable t connect laptop to house DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

roachbis

Beta member
Hi there
This is probably a stupid question..but.. I am home visiting family in the states. They have DSL in their house. I am trying to connect my laptop to it, but when I plug in the USB nothing happens. Do I need to do something with the IP address?
I need this for work and am desperate.
I would prefer wireless but they live in the boonies and I can't pick up any wireless signal.
Help.. I am new to this....!!!
Thanks so much for your help in advance!

youre using usb so you may possibly need drivers for that, and also with DSL you would need the pppoe user name and password.

Is a driver the same as an adapter

Is a driver the same as an adapter.. Sorry for the stupid questions.
And then i would go in and add a new connection with the pppoe names and passwords?
Thanks

Does your lappy not have an ethernet port? It ought to get up and go if you plug it in straight to the ethernet.

A DSL connection will work if you follow this, if it doesn't, then there is something more seriously wrong with your laptop.

To configure your NIC connection in Windows XP:

Click Start in the left Taskbar.

Right click My Network Places and select Properties.

Right click the network connection for your Network Interface Card (NIC) and select Properties.

Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

Select Obtain an IP address automatically if it isn't already checked.

Click OK.

Click OK again.

Most DSL connections (in the states at least) work on PPPoE. So the above method would not work unless behind some sort of a DHCP device, i.e. a router. Since it sounds like you are connecting directly to the modem, you will need to configure a PPPoE connection. Windows can configure PPPoE using the built in wizard or if you may want to try running the CD that came from your ISP as it should also setup a PPPoE connection for you.

Also, if your modem has an ethernet port, I would use that as you will not need any special drivers. If USB is your only option, you will need to install the drivers that came with the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom