600w PSU won't run my video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohip2000

Solid State Member
I just built a computer with a XFX 7950 X2 xtreme video card and I was having image tearing in all my games. (no modifications, latest drivers)
I have a 600w Enermax PSU that has 18 amp 12v rails.
I contacted the video card maker and they said my problem was most likely because I didn't have the required 22 amps on my 12v rails. I am RMAing this card and upgrading to 2 x 7900 GTX cards.
I guess I am wondering if running on 18 amps will damage the cards and if anyone else is running these cards on 18 amp lines with good or bad results?
I really hate the Idea that I may have bought a 600w PSU that won't work for my system.

What PSU do you have?

Also, did you remember to connect the 6-pin PCI-E power connector?

Yes I remembered to hook up the PCI-E wire, everything is hooked up right and everything runs smooth with no crashes, but I still get tearing on games.
It's an Enermax cool & quiet 600w SLI approved PSU w/18amp 12v and PCI-E rails.
I also tryed using the adapter that came with the card to hook 2 different 12v rails into on PCI-E connector. It still gave the same results

well, The video card company doesn't thinks so. they think its cause I don't have sufficiant power (22amp lines) thy said 18 amps isn't enough. oh well, I think its the card, but I RMAed it for 2 x 7900 GTXs so hopefully they run perfect. no one has answered my question of, "is 18 amps on th 12v rails enough to run these cards without causing damage?

gohip2000 said:
well, The video card company doesn't thinks so. they think its cause I don't have sufficiant power (22amp lines) thy said 18 amps isn't enough. oh well, I think its the card, but I RMAed it for 2 x 7900 GTXs so hopefully they run perfect. no one has answered my question of, "is 18 amps on th 12v rails enough to run these cards without causing damage?

I'm not sure on the specs, but if the card requires 22 amps then 18 wont cut it. It will cause a power sag (not getting enough power) which will cause it to become damaged. Same goes for if it requires 18 amps but your overfeeding it (power spike) and that willl also cause it to become damaged.

im not sure on that exact model card but usually thats the way it is with anything receiving power.

hopefully i was some sort of help.

well, I better get a new PSU and try to sell the other one. I would rather spend the money than take a chance on ruining my new 2 $400 graphics cards that i upgradd from the 7950X2. I guess I ned to look for one of thos rar PSUs that have 22amps going throught the 12v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom