I want to do this, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCRMYZ

Banned
I want to start making games in MS DOS, Like 32 bit games. What will I have to know?Cause i can go buy a few books and study up on it. I am right now focusing on dreamweaver and fireworks and learning more about that. I was wondering what would I need to do to program games, not really hard ones like the ones that are developed today but something like pong etc.

First, you need to learn how to program. My personal recommendation is to start by learning python or java. With python, you'll be more productive in a shorter amount of time than you would if you were using C or C++. Everyone has a different opinion in this area.

Second, don't target DOS. If you've never programmed before (I'm assuming you haven't), you've got quite a bit to learn before creating a game anyway.

1. Pick a language. I recommend visual basic. Easy to learn, easy to use, widely supported. For someone who hasn't programmed much, this language is very straightforward and easy to grasp.

2. Get a compiler. You have to compile your code into an executeable file (.exe, .dll, etc) in order to run it. Visual Studio is very nice, Excel can do visual basic 6.0 somewhat.

3. Get a book, and learn to google. Books are a great way to start, and can give you lots of background info. Don't shortcut your way and copy/paste code from google until you fully understand it, or at least 90% understand it ;) . Once you have a solid background, use google to help you with advanced methods.

If you are wanting to market your game, definatly DO NOT TARGET IT AT A CERTAIN OS, especially one as archaic as DOS.

You can probably go right down to you local book store and get Game Development books and Game Programming in C++ or some other language.....they go from beginning to end, with examples. You will also make yourself marketable as a programmer in general.

As for language, man, there are a lot of opinions. I'll go ahead and lay down some facts, (at least ones that I know)

Free (IDE's, Compilers, API's, SDK's)
Jave (Netbeans, The rest comes with the SDK from Sun, available at www.sun.com
C/C++ (Dev-C++, Quincy 2005, the rest is available by google)

Costly
Any thing by Microsoft I.e. Visual Basic, Visual C++, C#, J#, Visual Studio

I will admit though, Visual Basic is probably the easiest language I have ever worked with. C/C++ will run more effeciently, while Java is gaurenteed with a minimal amount of extra work on your part to run on about any system. I will say that almost any "beginner" book you get will supply you with at least a trial version of the software needed, if not a permanant copy. :D

Good luck

Consider taking a class at your local community college. An introduction to either C++ or Java would benefit you well if your aim is to design games.

Sorry to say it, however, but you have a lot of work ahead of you if you've never programmed before and want to design games. Good luck though :)! Hope you're good at math.

I am starting html, right now. I am almost done with it it only took me like 4 hours to take a quiz and everything to benefit, from there im ognna start c++, Hey should I do C# or any of those, I have seen many other of those

There is a world of difference between a mark up language and a programming language. At this stage, pick one language and learn how to program with it. You're not going to learn C++ in 4 hours or even 4 months. You've got your work cut out for you.

I will politely disagree. It is more than possible to learn enough C++ syntax in a couple months work (or weeks even) to make essentially everything possible. The complexity comes in with data structures, efficiency algorithms, and putting together complex structures to make something as annoyingly complicated as a computer game work.

The Future said:
I will politely disagree. It is more than possible to learn enough C++ syntax in a couple months work (or weeks even) to make essentially everything possible. The complexity comes in with data structures, efficiency algorithms, and putting together complex structures to make something as annoyingly complicated as a computer game work.

I agree with you there. Learning the semantics and syntax of a language is easy, and can be done with any language in a few weeks.

Originally posted by jaeusm
There is a world of difference between a mark up language and a programming language.

Exactly, like logic. no, learning HTML is good, but it won't get you closer to programming a game. Thomson Course Technology has a series of books out about game programming.....and they are great because they take you with no programming period, and he create a game out of it. Check it out.

Originally posted by jaeusm
You're not going to learn C++ in 4 hours or even 4 months

No, you won't become a master in 4 months. I've been developing in Java for two years now and I am not a master. Although there is merit in picking one language and sticking with it. till mastery at least.

The Future said:
I will politely disagree. It is more than possible to learn enough C++ syntax in a couple months work (or weeks even) to make essentially everything possible.
No it isn't, and you shouldn't mislead the OP. He has no programming experience. He's not going to learn C++ in a couple months or "weeks even". And he certainly isn't going to be making any games (even on the order of Pong) during that time.

I suppose it would be possible to memorize the keywords and learn a simple structure or two, like loops and functions in a couple months. However, that's not really enough practical experience to code a game other than Hi-Lo, which was not the OP's goal. Learning the syntax of a language is essentially meaningless if semantics and proper usage aren't understood. Data structures are instrumental, as well. I don't understand why it should be considered separate from learning a language.

In a couple month's work, I highly doubt that anyone with no programming experience is going to understand how and when to use templates, streams, multiple inheritance (and OOP&D for that matter), exception handling, the STL, and run-time type identification. Maybe you consider "learning" the same as "being exposed to". To me, learning means that you understand the concepts, know how to use, how to implement, and when to use the constructs and components in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom