Portel, most awsome game using Source Engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deimos

In Runtime
Valve is developing this new game that's a FPS/Puzzle, it's amazing!
Here's the Trailer http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/18/first-trailer-of-valves-portal-released/

You use a gun that when you shoot two different walls portals are made and it also has the functionality of a grav-gun. It's set in the Half-Life universe and I've heard that you might play as Shepard, from Opposing force, remember he's still alive.

After watching the trailer, you know the part were he's running through two portals and there is a guy in a orange jumpsuit ahead? That's you the player chaseing yourself!

Edit
I misspelled Portal in the title, just ignore it.

If I hadn't just finished playing prey I would be utterly amazed by what I was seeing, but it looks like a lot of the same concepts. For example:

After watching the trailer, you know the part were he's running through two portals and there is a guy in a orange jumpsuit ahead? That's you the player chaseing yourself!
That was already done in prey

My understanding is this ships free with episode 2 so I'm more inclined to think of it more as a gary's mod type thing or as a multiplayer thing considering they don't really outline any of the enemies or objective of the game. I also think they got a bit carried away with the whole "OMG PORTALS!!" aspect, it would be like centralizing a game around the gravity gun. Cool at first but after the initial "awesome" shock goes away it would get boring really really quickly

still I gotta say it looks **** tripped out and so long as the game isn't that same generic looking room plus includes other guns it might be a bit cool. Looks like something like this might actually make use of a PPU. I gotta say once again it might just be me but the source engine again looks completely new and improved, the gun model looks really good

I couldn't get sound to work on that particular trailer so for anyone else

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GWzmL05OlYA

Trotter said:
And so many systems will draw up into the fetal position...

my dell already strted to cry when i played the video of it.

i think it's gonna turn emo and kill itself

gaara said:
If I hadn't just finished playing prey I would be utterly amazed by what I was seeing, but it looks like a lot of the same concepts. For example:

That was already done in prey

My understanding is this ships free with episode 2 so I'm more inclined to think of it more as a gary's mod type thing or as a multiplayer thing considering they don't really outline any of the enemies or objective of the game. I also think they got a bit carried away with the whole "OMG PORTALS!!" aspect, it would be like centralizing a game around the gravity gun. Cool at first but after the initial "awesome" shock goes away it would get boring really really quickly

still I gotta say it looks **** tripped out and so long as the game isn't that same generic looking room plus includes other guns it might be a bit cool. Looks like something like this might actually make use of a PPU. I gotta say once again it might just be me but the source engine again looks completely new and improved, the gun model looks really good

I couldn't get sound to work on that particular trailer so for anyone else

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GWzmL05OlYA

As far as I know in Prey you can't manipulate the portals and the portals in Prey arn't the basis of the game. Also just turn up the sound on the little bar under the video.

Deimos said:
You use a gun that when you shoot two different walls portals are made and it also has the functionality of a grav-gun. It's set in the Half-Life universe and I've heard that you might play as Shepard, from Opposing force, remember he's still alive.

After watching the trailer, you know the part were he's running through two portals and there is a guy in a orange jumpsuit ahead? That's you the player chaseing yourself!.
Sounds just like PREY.

A game where you CAN shoot yourself in the back!

Prey didn't use portals to their full potential. As the Gamespot reviewer said, they are more like "doors". They could do so much more in a game with that concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom