stolen apple computer traceable in any way?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
my sister in law had her computer stolen from her house along with alot of her documents and personal information

i was wondering if an older apple macbook is traceable in any way through wifi.

and if it is what would i need to get
im sure if its possible we can arrange a reward for finding it and even better for catching the idiot that stole it.

can it be done through IP address when (if they acess wifi anywhere?)
or does the macbok have an ID number like intel processors?
i dont know anything about apple besides that its white and shiny lol

Contact your local law enforcement. Only they are the ones equipped that can do what is needed to get warrants for IP Addresses and searches. You wont be able to get more than a city location.

local police is useless, this crap will take forever if not longer, they dont really do much besides pulling people over and writing tickets. at least where i live

they did file a police report already. but im gonna tell her about the apple stuff she took it for repairs to apple store so they should have the serial number on file right?

Apple should have everything on file, and you must have a police report for Apple to release any information about potential locations of the laptop to the police, they will not hand it directly to you as it could just be a violation of privacy and local/state/federal laws at that point, which apple would like to avoid, by working with local police.

If apple knows it's stolen, and police have a report, if Apple sees the machine, they will alert the police department specified, reference the report, and the location it was last seen. That is how most things that deploy a type of Lo-Jack operate, from Cars, to ipods end up being done.

They are traceable if you have activated "find my mac". If it is activated just log into icloud and use the app there. It will show you on google earth where your mac is currently sitting. It has to be on wifi though, so if its not connected your out of luck.

Back
Top Bottom