Installing software without a disk drive?

9white5

Solid State Member
Hello, I recently bought a virtual instruments\effects bundle called Komplete 9, which needs to be installed with a disk. However my macbook doesnt have a cd drive and i'd really rather not have to buy an external one if i can help it.

I have another computer that does have a cd drive, but its a windows.. am i able to transfer software from that computer to my mac via usb? Is it just a matter of drag and drop or is it more complicated than that (I'm not very computer-smart)

Thanks very much :)

Drag and drop may or may not work, depending on how they've designed their installation process.

Fortunately, there is a solution created for just such a problem, which is the idea of virtual CD drives. You can create images of the disc, which are just virtual copies of the disc. Since you want to create the disc image on Windows, and read it on OSX, follow these steps:

1) Install ImgBurn (http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe)

2) Put the disc into the Windows machine, and open ImgBurn. Use the "Create image file from disc" option.

3) Place the created disc image onto a USB stick or external hard drive, assuming you have one large enough.

4) Plug the USB stick or external hard drive into the Macbook. Open Disk Utility, and go to File -> Open Disk Image.

5) Once you've mounted it, use the virtual CD drive as you would a real one, and install the stuff you want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom