Is it me or it Norton useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobzor

Baseband Member
I use Norton Internet Security...
I don't think it works very well, because I KNOW I've had a virus when I had Norton and it did not detect it. I took it in to the local GeekSquad and they found 9 viruses. They told me "Norton doesn't help if you have the viruses ON your system, it only blocks them." Well.... If I had Norton and it failed to block the virus, THEN it lacked the ability to remove it, what use is it? Should I consider buying a different antivirus software?

Norton is an application for people that don't know what they are doing.

Norton can only do so much if they don't update the virus def's.

"They" is me, so there's no point in talking in the third person.
I update the defenitions every day and still I fear for my computer's safety.

After I get my computer ghosted (new mobo) what software should I look into?

Enough criticism, how about some suggestions?

Im sorry if what I posted sounded critical. I did not mean it that way. What I meant was, Norton can't protect you from everything. All you need to do is clean it up once, then don't surf pr0n and don't open attachments from people you don't know.
That will keep you moderately safe.

If you want to make sure your machine is clean...
download highjackthis and post the scan in the spyware/adware thread.

I recommend Symantec Anitvirus 10 Corporate Edition

You see, Norton Antivirus is just that, Anitvirus. I really dont consider a trojan as a virus, I consider it more as spyware. If you combine your Norton with Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware SE 1.6 Personal, and Microsoft Antispyware, then finally Hijackthis!, you will be able to get rid of most viruses just by using those programs. If worse comes to worse, you have to search for files, stop services and startups, and manually delete them. If you cant remove viruses/spyware in regular mode, always boot into safe mode. 9 times outa 10, it will remove it. If I cant remove all of it, the other part of the virus/trojan, you will be able to delete it more than likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom