Installing a Program With a Virus/Trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

topherus

Baseband Member
A friend gave me a program that contains a trojan. Can I install this, then remove it with my anti-virus program? If I run my anti-virus program first (before installation), it will erase the entire program

Thanks for getting back...please, not to be a smart-***...simply, I wanted to install the program and use it. I've tried many forums trying to get an answer - not getting a definitive yes or no. Since my drive is always backed up and imaged, I can take the chance of installing this program; I will have to do this by "trial and error".

My question, as far as you can help, is...if a program is installed where the AV program alerts you to a threat at installation and I choose to ignore it, and the installation is continued, can the AV program remove the threat after installation?

Thanks for getting back...please, not to be a smart-***...simply, I wanted to install the program and use it. I've tried many forums trying to get an answer - not getting a definitive yes or no. Since my drive is always backed up and imaged, I can take the chance of installing this program; I will have to do this by "trial and error".

My question, as far as you can help, is...if a program is installed where the AV program alerts you to a threat at installation and I choose to ignore it, and the installation is continued, can the AV program remove the threat after installation?

Personally, I strongly advise against installing the program.

As for removing the threat after installation, you may be able to remove the trojan file itself, but there's no telling what damage the trojan may do to your system after it's executed, or whether you'll be able to reverse the damage.

If you choose to take the risk, then I suggest you identify the trojan and the removal procedure beforehand, then at least you'll know what it will do to your system and how to get rid of it including how to reverse the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom